ST STITHIANS COLLEGE
We profile St Stithians College of Randburg.
Two Cornishmen, Albert Mountstephens and William Collins came to Johannesburg and made a lot of money in construction work (DH Corlett). They had intended to go to America but the first ship had been to South Africa! They walked from Port Elizabeth to Kimberley and later travelled to Johannesburg after the discovery of gold.
They came from the villages of Stythian and Penryn in Cornwall. (There is an obscure saint called Stithian or Stythian.) They were devout Methodists who attended the Central Hall in Johannesburg under the legendary Rev. Joe Webb. They left money for a religious-based school and after the war the trustees of their estate bought a 214-acre estate in what is now Randburg (40 acres of this have been sold off.).
The school was founded in 1953.
Randburg municipality was formed in 1959 of a conglomeration of suburbs in north-west Johannesburg. And it is correct in Cornish terms not to have the apostrophe in St Stithians, as in the town of St Ives.
The school has been run under the auspices of the Methodist Church. The first head was Walter (Wally) Mears, former head of Rondebosch BHS 1953-63. He was succeeded by Steyn Krige (who had been on Wally's staff at Rondebosch.) Krige was succeeded by Mark Henning in 1969; then David Wylde in 1988 and Steve Lowry in 2003. St Stithians now incorporates boys' and girls' senior and junior schools.
Rugby at Saints
St Stithians approaches rugby with great seriousness and enthusiasm. It is probably musty famous for its Easter Tournament, the first of its kind for South African schools. It was started in 1884, attracts up to 20 000 spectators and is a great sporting and social occasion.
It’s chief rivals are St John’s, KES, Parktown, Jeppe and Pretoria Boys’ High. In addition it has a rugby exchange of all teams with Glenwood in Durban each year.
Old Boy Rugby Springboks
Lance Sherrell and Brent Russell who ended his schooling at Selborne in East London
Name: St Stithians College
Motto: One and all
Number of pupils: 760 (boys’ college only)
Boarders: 90 (boys’ college only)