ST HENRY'S MARIST SCHOOL
Sat, 05 Jun 2004 00:00
We profile St Henry's a Marist school in Durban
St Marcellin Champagnat, a young priest in rural south-east France, founded the Marist Brothers to educate the poor. The Brothers then spread to many parts of the world, arriving in Cape Town in 1867. In 1929, when they already had a school in Pietermaritzburg, St Charles, they opened St Henry’s with little Brother Paul, whose nickname was Pinkie, as principal. The school has a wonderful aspect, along the ridge above Durban with a view over the City to the bay on the one side and inland towards the Valley of a Thousand Hills on the other.
The school started as a day school for boys and, latterly, girls. The Brothers gradually withdrew and the school came under lay control.
Motto of school: Omnia vincite (Overcome all difficulties)
Date of foundation: 1929
School address: South Ridge Road, Durban
The school, which runs from pre-primary to Grade 12, has enthusiastic rugby at all ages. The school is especially hospitable – welcoming all who come to play there with cheerful functions. Visitors include annual visitors from overseas. There are nine teams in the senior school.
As part of the schools 70th anniversary in 1999, it hosted a rugby festival, attended by Port Natal, Thomas More, Parkhill, St David’s, De La Salle, St Alban’s and Uplands.
Its most notable player of late has been Jovan Bowles who has played for Natal. His father, Ashley, was a star wing for the SARU side.
|South African news|
|» Poachers target young SA talent|
|» Scrumhalf innovation to rock VC|
|» Jean holds onto World Cup dream|
|» Burger's comeback up for award|
|» GLRU: We are very active in Soweto|