HOERSKOOL DR EG JANSEN
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:00
We profile Hoërskool Dr EG Jansen of Boksburg, east of Johannesburg - a school making more and more a success of its rugby.
The Hoërskool Dr EG Jansen is in Boksburg on the East Rand - that is east of Johannesburg. It is famous for its lake and even more so for its gold mines.
Boksburg was named for Dr WE Bok, friend and confidante of Paul Kruger, state secretary of Kruger's South African Republic - the Transvaal as a country.
The town was founded in 1903, the school much later.
In 1955 pupils and staff left Hoërskool Voortrekker and formed a new school, moving to its present site in 1958. The school took its name from Ernest George Jansen, who became the first Afrikaans-speaking governor-general of South Africa in 1951 .
Name: Hoërskool Dr EG Jansen
Motto: Ons sal handhaaf (We will keep it going)
Pupil numbers: 1 500
Number of rugby teams: 11
In 1999 the school began a rugby academy and had a large number of applicants, which may just be paying off as they played the Final of the Super 16 in 2004, just losing to Marais Viljoen in a splendid match of skilful, adventurous rugby.
|South African news|
|» Boozing Cruden axed|
|» Carr, Senatla & Gqoboka with Boks|
|» Boks have a point to prove|
|» First Div: Potch and Welkom semis|
|» Delay won't trip up All Blacks|