Uruguayan players arrested for rape
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 00:00
Two Uruguayan club players have reportedly been arrested in Cape Town on charges of rape.
A 24-year-old and a 30-year-old were taken to Sea Point police station on Saturday, after being accused of raping a 29-year-old woman at a hotel, The Star newspaper reported on Monday.
Gary Jansen, the players' attorney, told the newspaper the players denied the allegations.
He said an identity parade with all members of the touring Lobos club delegation, consisting of more than 30 people, had been postponed.
"The police did try to hold an identity parade because there was an allegation that more players were involved, but they were not able to do it because it was short notice and there were logistical problems," he said.
The New Age newspaper reported that the identity parade would be held on Thursday.
The players were expected to appear at the Cape Town Magistrate's Court later on Monday.
|South African news|
|» Bok changes add to line-out woes|
|» Juan back at No.7|
|» Boks to face 'hostile fans'|
|» Full complement for Meyer to ponder|
|» Mac: Meyer on the right track|