Unfortunately JJ Engelbrecht did better than him [Sadie]
It is official. Johann Sadie will become a Cheetah next year. His transfer from the Bulls was confirmed by the Bloemfontein-based franchise on Tuesday.
"The Cheetahs confirm the signing of Bulls centre Johann Sadie. Sadie has signed a 2 year deal starting in 2013," the Cheetahs said on the team's official Twitter page.
The move comes after Sadie asked the Bulls to release him from his contract, in order to look for alternative employment.
However, it was also confirmed that the Bulls would release him only after the completion of this year's Currie Cup competition.
Sadie, who burst onto the scene with the Stormers and Western Province last year, signed with the Bulls for 2012.
However, a number of injury setbacks have limited his playing time and allowed fellow off-season recruit and former Stormers teammate JJ Engelbrecht to move ahead of him in the midfield pecking order in Pretoria.
Cheetahs backline coach Hawies Fourie said Sadie was likely to be a replacement for utility back Phillip Snyman - who is set to join up with the Springbok Sevens team later this year.
Fourie admitted that Sadie was looking to "relaunch" his career in Bloemfontein, after a frustrating season in Pretoria.
"It sometimes works out like that," Fourie told this website, adding: "He had two very good seasons with the Stormers and went to Pretoria with high expectations.
"Unfortunately JJ [Engelbrecht - another signing from the Stormers] did better than him [Sadie]."
Fourie also felt the Cheetahs' more expansive approach to the game would suit Sadie's game, adding: "The way we play will benefit his skills.
"Very few players who do go to the Bulls do succeed, but there are rare cases when things don't work out.
"Johann [Sadie] will be a good replacement for Phillip Snyman, who is joining up with the national Sevens team," Fourie added.
By Jan de Koning