All Black and Blues player Rene Ranger's trial got underway at the Whangarei District Court on Monday.
According to Newstalk ZB the 25-year-old is on trial following an incident outside a Mangawhai Tavern three years ago.
A jury has listened to the contrasting opening arguments of the Crown and defence as Ranger stands trial on two assault charges.
The complainant's injuries have been detailed with the Crown alleging there was intent from Ranger to hurt the victim.
However, the defence says Ranger was only deflecting an unprovoked attack.
Speaking via video link from Australia, Jason Dick says he was waiting outside the Mangawhai Tavern in August 2009 when he was knocked to the ground.
He suffered injuries to his teeth, nose and eyebrow.
The 28-year-old admitted he was drunk at the time and couldn't remember Ranger being around during the attack but denies the defence lawyer's claim that he tried to tackle Ranger and was injured as a result of self defence.
The court also heard that the complainant shouldn't have been at the tavern as he had been issued a trespass notice the previous year.