ON THE EDGE
Mendoza: Fast facts
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:05
Argentina host South Africa in Mendoza on Saturday. We bring you all the statistics and facts.
* South Africa and Argentina have played against each other in 14 Test matches since 1993, with the Springboks winning all 14.
* The 14 consecutive Test victories over Argentina is a record for Springbok rugby. It is one better than the 13 consecutive wins against Wales.
* Springbok captain Jean de Villiers, South Africa's most capped centre with 61 caps in this position, and Bryan Habana are the only members of the team that have played Test rugby in Argentina before.
* Three members of the starting XV – Adriaan Strauss, Ruan Pienaar and Morné Steyn – were part of the SA Under-21 squad that played in the IRB U21 World Championship in Mendoza in 2005, won by South Africa. All three of them played in the Final, won 24-20 at the Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, also the venue for Saturday's Test. Strauss replaced the injured Bismarck du Plessis in the U21 squad in 2005.
* Morné Steyn holds the Springbok record for most career tries in Tests as a flyhalf – seven. He is also the Springbok record holder for most career points (210) and penalty goals (51) in this tournament and, together with André Pretorius, the overall record holder for most career drop-goals in the tournament – four. (The record of 210 career points is currently shared with Percy Montgomery).
* Furthermore, Morné Steyn will play in his 28th consecutive Test. He needs three penalty goals to reach 100 career penalty goals.
* The referee, Steve Walsh from Australia, has been in charge of 12 Springbok Tests before. South Africa won nine of those tests and lost one. Two Tests were drawn.
|South African news|
|» SARU exceed profit forecasts|
|» Unbeaten Shimlas to host Pukke|
|» Hard road for Ikeys and Pukke|
|» Hat-tricks abound in Vodacom Cup|
|» Preview: Vodacom Cup, Round Four|