Spencer: All Blacks will destroy Boks
Tue, 02 Oct 2012 18:19
They are going to come up against a better defence this week
Retired New Zealand flyhalf Carlos Spencer believes the Springboks will be no match for the All Blacks in Soweto on Saturday.
Spencer said the Springboks’ emphatic 31-8 win over the Wallabies in Pretoria at the weekend needed to be put into perspective and that the unbeaten All Blacks would pose a much greater challenge.
“The Springboks obviously needed a good win but the Aussie weren't great," Spencer told Fairfax NZ News. "I think the All Blacks will destroy them this week.
“It will be a big confidence booster for the Springboks. There was a lot of pressure on them over here in terms of their last couple of efforts.
"They played some good rugby at times and didn't kick away as much ball as they had previously.
"That's definitely a step in the right direction for them.
“But they are going to come up against a better defence this week. If they can hold the ball for long periods and not kick it away they'll be in with a chance, but the All Blacks will be too good for them.”
Spencer, along with fellow assistant coach Wayne Taylor was in August sacked by the Lions after the Johannesburg-based Super Rugby franchise suspended head coach John Mitchell following allegations of a player revolt, and has subsequently turned his back on coaching.
During his time at the Lions, Spencer worked closely with flyhalf Elton Jantjies, who made his Springbok debut from the bench last weekend, and is understood to have been popular with the players.
He is now contemplating a career in sports promotion.
"They cut Mitch and I was next. It's just one of those things. People get fired everyday. It's time to move on and try something different,” Spencer said.
|South African news|
|» Smith's next step towards Boks|
|» Spies looks to the Far East|
|» Rugby or life: Choose one|
|» Du Preez out for rest of the year|
|» General Du Preez out of action|