ON THE EDGE
Boks by the numbers
Wed, 07 Nov 2012 13:26
Springbok Test match records in Dublin against Ireland
Saturday's Test will be the 21st between South Africa and Ireland.
In the 20 Tests they have played against each other since 1906, South Africa have won 15, lost four and one match was drawn (in 1970).
Points for South Africa: 401
Points for Ireland: 236
Average score: 20-12 to SA
* South Africa and Ireland last met on 6 November 2010 in Dublin - South Africa won by 23-21.
* Morné Steyn is the most capped Springbok flyhalf, with 40 Tests. He also holds the record for the most career tries in Tests as a flyhalf, with seven.
* Steyn needs 14 points to reach 500 career points in Tests for the Springboks. He also needs two drop-goals to equal Naas Botha's career record of three drop-goals against Ireland and 11 points to equal Percy Montgomery's career record of 32 points in Tests against Ireland in Dublin.
* Jean de Villiers will extend his record as the most capped Springbok centre - he is currently on 66 Tests in this position. He will captain the Springboks for the 10th time on Saturday.
* Should CJ van der Linde be used as a substitute, he will join Ruan Pienaar on 35 Tests as a replacement, the second most by a Springbok. CJ will then also become the most capped Springbok against Ireland in his seventh cap against this country.
* Wayne Barnes of England is the referee. In the seven Tests he's refereed involving South Africa, the Springboks have won four and lost three.
Springbok Test match records in Dublin against Ireland.
* Most points - 12 by Percy Montgomery (three conversions, two penalties) in 1998 and again (four penalties) in 2004.
* Most tries - three each by Jan Stegmann and Boetie McHardy at Lansdowne Road in 1912.
* Most conversions - three each by Gerhard Morkel in 1912 and by Percy Montgomery in 1998.
* Most penalty goals - four by Percy Montgomery in 2004.
* Most drop goals - one each by Hansie Brewis in 1951 and by Morné Steyn in 2009.
|South African news|
|» Dream Team push Juniors all the way|
|» Baby Boks name experienced team|
|» Vodacom Cup: Eagles shock Sharks|
|» Preview: Vodacom Cup, Round Six|
|» The rise of General Franco|