Surgery to sideline England's Clark
Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:55
That's the game
Northampton's Calum Clark faces a spell on the sidelines after it was announced on Tuesday he would be undergoing shoulder surgery.
A joint statement issued by Northampton and England revealed the 23-year-old uncapped flank would have an operation on Wednesday following an injury sustained to the AC joint in his right shoulder during the first half of Saturday's European Cup game between the Saints and Glasgow.
Clark's rehabilitation will then be managed by his club in conjunction with the England medical staff, with the statement adding it was "too early to speculate as to when he will return to action".
The back row was included in England coach Stuart Lancaster's original squad for the forthcoming Six Nations after serving a 32-week ban for breaking an opponent's elbow last year.
However, his injury saw him replaced by Mouritz Botha on Sunday.
"It is a shame for Calum as he had worked hard to get back into the senior squad," Lancaster said on Tuesday. "But these things happen and our medics will work closely with Northampton on his rehab."
Meanwhile, Clark told his Twitter followers: "My shoulder needs an operation so I will be out of action for the foreseeable future. That's the game."
England begin their Six Nations campaign with a Calcutta Cup clash against Scotland at Twickenham on February 2.
|South African news|
|» The choirboy that would be a Bok|
|» A Springbok captain dies|
|» Matfield: RWC not a two-horse race|
|» Nothing 'flash' about England|
|» Gold deal for Sharks|