Bezuidenhout answers Stormers SOS
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:34
He came very highly-recommended by his peers
Lions hooker Martin Bezuidenhout will join the Stormers at the start of next week, as injury cover in the front row.
With Siyabonga Ntubeni (shoulder) having undergone surgery this week and Springbok Tiaan Liebenberg (back) still a few weeks away from taking contact, Bezuidenhout will be based in Cape Town until the end of March.
Lions CEO Manie Booysen said Bezuidenhout at first baulked at the idea of playing in Cape Town, but has reconsidered and accepted the Stormers' offer.
Bezuidenhout was left out of the Lions' matchday squad for their second challenge match of the year, against the Cheetahs at Ellis Park on Saturday.
Stormers coach Allister Coetzee said Bezuidenhout's stay in Cape Town could be extended beyond March - depending on the fitness of Liebenberg and Ntubeni.
Bezuidenhout played his Craven Week rugby for the Leopards, before moving to Johannesburg after school.
The 23-year-old hooker has represented the Lions at every level - including two seasons of Super Rugby and the victorious 2011 Currie Cup Final when he came off the bench.
"As I said earlier this week, we needed a hooker with enough Super Rugby and big-game experience and Martin certainly fits the bill," Coetzee said.
"He also came very highly-recommended by his peers and we're looking forward to welcoming him at training on Monday and getting him up to speed with our systems at the HPC."
Bezuidenhout will immediately be included in the team's preparations for next Saturday's warm-up match against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.
|South African news|
|» World Cup bid a four-horse race|
|» SARU stand firm as Maties sue Roux|
|» SARU fires Watson|
|» Burger: No quick-fix for Boks|
|» Two injured Boks return home|