Reddan adds to Irish injury woes
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 08:51
He has been ruled out for three months
Eoin Reddan added to Ireland's terrible run of injuries here on Saturday when he broke a leg in his side's 13-13 Six Nations draw with France.
The 32-year-old replacement scrumhalf - who won his 50th cap when he replaced Conor Murray in the 63rd minute - suffered the injury in the final minute of the match and been ruled out for three months.
"He broke a bone in his leg just above the ankle," said Ireland coach Declan Kidney.
"He has been ruled out for three months."
Kidney, who is far from certain to have a new contract offered to him when his present one runs out after this campaign, said several others were nursing various ailments from what was a bruising game.
He was not certain how many of them would be fit for the final match of the tournament against Italy in Rome next Saturday.
"Brian O'Driscoll has a dead leg and a couple of stitches to his ear, Luke Marshall took a knock to the head, Conor Murray tweaked his knee when he replaced O'Driscoll, Peter O'Mahony also has a dead leg and apart from those everyone else is fine," said the 53-year-old with a wry grin.
Kidney and Ireland's campaign has been bedevilled by injuries to key players with star wing Tommy Bowe, veteran lock Paul O'Connell and flanker Stephen Ferris all ruled out even before the tournament started.
Since then wing Simon Zebo, experienced centre Gordon D'Arcy and first choice fly-half Jonathan Sexton have all been sidelined.
Despite their absences Kidney has still been criticised and even the draw which gives Ireland three points - after beating Wales but suffering two narrow losses to England and Scotland - may not be enough to save him.
|South African news|
|» Make or break in Varsity Cup|
|» Community Cup comes up Roses|
|» Simba bare teeth on debut|
|» SA Rugby Annual 2014 - even better|
|» Administrator to aid troubled Border|