Moala joins Kiwi queue at court
Tue, 14 May 2013 09:07
When a player faces charges of this nature we treat it seriously
Blues utility back George Moala made his first court appearance on Tuesday after he was charged with assault in December last year.
The wing was given a week ban by coach John Kirwan after he was made aware of the allegations.
"He didn't share some of the things that he needed to share with us," Kirwan said when he ommitted Moala from his squad that played the Reds in Round 11.
"A big part of our team culture is honesty. We've got protocols - they know the rules and we're just enforcing them," Kirwan added.
New Zealand Rugby General Manager of Professional Rugby Neil Sorensen confirmed that the misconduct process would be put on hold until the conclusion of Moala’s court case.
"When a player finds himself facing charges of this nature we treat it seriously but it’s important that we do not pre-judge his right to a fair judicial process.
"It is a complex matter which is in the hands of George’s lawyers and we are not able to comment further at this stage," Sorensen added.
Blues Chief Executive Andy Dalton said: "We will work with New Zealand Rugby and George’s representatives on the misconduct process following the conclusion of the court case.
"Within our own environment, George broke internal team protocol when he failed to inform the team and management of the incident at the time.
"That issue was dealt with three weeks ago by the team. He is now expected to turn up to work and fulfil his obligations as any other member of the squad," Dalton explained.
Moala has been an important member of the Blues squad this season with a number of good performances for the side from Auckland.
|South African news|
|» SA Rugby Annual 2014 - even better|
|» Administrator to aid troubled Border|
|» Hoskins to stay on as SARU boss|
|» Springboks' double Dragons date|
|» Preview: Rising stars in action|