Ioane ready to go Lion hunting
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:21
I just had to do the little things first
Flying Wallaby wing Digby Ioane has declared himself fit to tackle the British and Irish Lions in the first Test on Saturday, just four weeks after knee surgery.
The 34-Test veteran had been a real doubt after an arthroscopy to clean up damaged cartilage last month.
"It's feeling good, I'll be ready for this weekend," Ioane told reporters Tuesday after taking a full part in team training sessions.
"I just had to do the little things first to get it right but now I'm right to go. All I have to do is just get picked for this weekend."
Coach Robbie Deans looks certain to select Ioane on the left with Israel Folau making his Test debut on the right.
The 27-year-old Ioane, who will join France's Stade Francais on a AU$2 million-plus two-year deal at the end of the year, brushed off any concern of rustiness facing the powerful Lions backline at Brisbane's sold-out Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.
"I've been in this situation before against the All Blacks - I think it was in 2010 when I did my shoulder," the Queensland Reds player said.
"I didn't play a game all year and that was my first game, so I'm not too worried about it."
The second Test takes place in Melbourne on June 29 and the final clash on July 6 in Sydney.
|South African news|
|» Unbeaten Shimlas stand tall|
|» Kings pick up Madibaz coach|
|» VC Preview: Tuks face road test|
|» Kings pay Leopards' asking price|
|» Toulouse end banned Bok's contract|