Cape Schools Reports, Day 1

Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:55
Large cape schools week 5.jpg630

Saturday was a lovely day out at Paarl for the start of the Cape Schools Week. The surprise of the opening day was Muir's victory over Rondebosch.

Saturday was a lovely day out at Paarl for the start of the Cape Schools Week. The surprise of the opening day was Muir's victory over Rondebosch.

Fortunately the weather on Saturday 22 June 2013, the first day of the Cape Schools Week, bore absolutely no resemblance to that of the previous day. The sunny day with light cloud that greeted the spectators at Paarl Gym was hard to reconcile with the gusty sheets of rain of Friday night.

Match 1: Boland Landbou vs Dale, 34-22

The Landbou pack got stuck in from the start, keeping the ball largely to themselves. This did, however, have the obvious negative consequence: when the big men pitched up among the backs, misunderstandings and dropped passes tended to result.

Although visiting pivot Courtney Winnaar was sending his line away with confidence, it was his opposite number, Tian Nel, who had put the Farmers 6-0 up through two penalties by the midway point of the half . Then the moment many had been waiting for arrived as a stunning precision chip ahead by Dale full-back Ayavuya Mavuso saw him gather his kick on the bounce to score a superb try, which Winnaar converted to put the Amadoda ahead 7-6. Winnaar increased the lead with a penalty. But Boland got it back  when lock Gerhard du Toit scored and Nel converted. 13-10 to Landbou.

The Landbou forwards drove and set up a try for Renier Wepener, which Nel converted. 20-10 seven minutes into the second half. Three minutes later Landbou eighthman scored a try and again Nel converted. 20-10.

Back came Dale who grubbered and Winnaar scored the try and converted it. 27-17 after 44 minutes. But five minutes later Landbou counterattacked and Adriaan Louw scored a try which Nel, yet again, converted. 34-17.

Right on the final siren  scrumhalf Sibusiso Ncokovane darted over for a try in the right corner.

Match 2: Muir vs Rondebosch, 31-27

Muir started running and when Rondebosch ran at them left wing Xolela Daniels intercepted and scored a try which fullback Ruben de Vos converted. 7-0 to Muir.

The Rondebosch pack got on top and flank Luca Botha forced his way over for a try  which flyhalf Hylton Gibson converted. 7-7 after 23 minutes. but just before half-time Daniels grabbed a loose ball and scored in the corner. Muir led 12-7 at the break.

Early in the second half Gibson kicked a penalty goal. 12-10 to Muir. Then Rondebosch actually took the lead when prop Justin Baty charged and fullback Nic le Roux scored. Gibson converted. 17-12 to Rondebosch. With 15 minutes to play Rondebosch seemed to have made the game safe when Tyren Lee sent Le Roux over for his second try, which Lee converted. 24-12.

Those last 15 minutes were packed with excitement as first Muir's right wing Leigh-Angus Nel scored and De Vos converted. 24-19 to Rondebosch,

Back came Muir and eighthman Nkosi Ntebeto raced over for a try which De Vos converted. Now Muir were leading 26-24 with nine minutes to play.

Rondebosch got the lead back when Lee kicked a penalty goal. 27-24 to Rondebosch with six minutes to play. But Muir were not done as centre Lunathi Nexele broke on a swerving run to score the try that won the match.

Match 3: Paarl Gim vs Grey, 27-25

Gim had only three regular 1st XV players in their side while Grey were able to choose their Craven Week players.

Gim took off running and had already built a relatively comfortable 10-0 inside ten minutes via a fourth minute try by lock Waldo McDonald, converted by flyhalf Andri Cooper, who added a penalty shortly afterwards. Big right wing Ruan Stander had a good run but Cooper was held up over the line.. Gim stayed on the attack and Stander scored wide out. Cooper's conversion made it 17-0.

Grey then put pressure on Gim and flank CJ Velleman scored. 17-5. They were close to scoring again but a great tackle by Gim flank Lohandré Luus  saved the day. Grey stayed on the attack, their exciting running meeting resolute defence till flank Johann van Niekerk broke through for a try which flyhalf Garrick Mattheus converted right on the siren. 17-12 to Gim and the prospect of an exciting second half.

Grey were first to score in the second half  when scrumhalf Nick Beswick snapped up a grubber to dot down. Curwin Bosch converted. Grey led 19-17. Cooper and then Bosch made the score 22-20. Bosch kicked another penalty and it was 25-20 with just seven minutes to play.

Gim threw everything at Grey but the PE side held firm till Gareth Cilliers drove with all his power to score. Replacement Wyatt Murphy kicked the conversion. Gim had won.

Match 4: Wynberg vs Queen's, 26-20

Queen's captain and flyhalf Simon Bolze and Karl Martin traded penalties. Then Wynberg outside centre Jihaad Smith slipped through the defence for the first try of the match, converted by Martin. (Wynberg 10 Queen's 3 after 13 minutes).

The only other scoring during the match were a penalty each by Martin and Bolze.

In the second half Wynberg took the score to 23-6 with a converted try and a penalty goal and seemed on the way to a comfortable victory.

Queen's came back with a try under the posts by left wing  Jerry Danquah. 23-10,  which became 26-13 when Martin kicked his fourth penalty.

From the kick-off Queen's were close but then Bolze broke, scored and converted. 26-20. The boys from Queenstown attacked  in the remaining 10 minutes but Wynberg held out for the victory.

Match 5: Selborne vs SACS, 11-9

The last match of the day was comparatively tedious. SACS without kingpin Richard Rodgers still dominated their bigger opponents and led 9-0 at half-time through penalties by flyhalf Shane Fourie.

Fullback Stuart Dixon got his side on the scoreboard half way through the second half  with a try in the right corner. Then Morgan Steyn rescued his side with huge kicks out of defence  and then he goaled two penalties to make the score 11-9 in the East Londoners' favour.

SACS had a chance to win the match but missed fairly easy penalty kick at goal in the last seconds.

From Tony Stoops.
Photograph: EJ Langner
Boland Landbou against Dale