Treu's Kenyan move not official
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:27
Paul Treu has confirmed that he is in talks with the Kenyan Rugby Union to become their Sevens coach, but there is nothing formal.
Media reports on Monday, based on the Twitter account of a fan website, Kenya Rugby 24/7, suggested Treu was already appointed as the new head coach.
However, Treu told this website the reports are a "bit premature".
"I am still waiting for the guys in Kenya to get back to me," the former Springboks Sevens head coach said.
"At this stage there is nothing formal," he told this website, adding: "I have not signed anything yet, so I think the people there [in Kenya] may be jumping the gun."
Treu said he hopes to have a more definitive answer "later in the week".
The 42-year-old Treu, who was in charge of the BlitzBokke for eight seasons, was in Kenya recently and met Kenya Rugby Union bosses in a process that was to lay the groundwork of taking over from England's Mike Friday, who resigned as Kenyan Sevens coach in August.
Monday's reports linking Treu to the Kenyan job follows the news that Vuyo Zangqa, the long-time right hand man of Treu at the BlitzBokke, has informed the South African Rugby Union that he will not renew his contract, which comes to an end on October 31 - which is also when Treu's official contract with SARU expires.
Zangqa and Graham Bentz, a long-term strength and conditioning coach at SARU, are also waiting for formal responses from the KRU.
Treu had long spoken of his desire to coach a national team at the 2016 Olympic Games and his move to Kenya will pit him directly against his BlitzBok replacement - Neil Powell, who was appointed coach of the Springbok Sevens team in succession to Treu earlier this month.
By Jan de Koning
|South African news|
|» Varsity Rugby locked and loaded|
|» Ludeke's big Bok poser|
|» Stormers to play at CT Stadium|
|» Willie: Boks yet to reach full potential|
|» Poachers target young SA talent|