Boks v World XV in 'warm-up'
SARU remained mum following reports that the Springboks are likely to play a game against a World XV at Cape Town Stadium this year.
The South African Rugby Union remained mum on Wednesday, following reports that the Springboks are likely to play a game against a World XV at Cape Town Stadium this year.
The match, which according to the Afrikaans daily Die Burger, will take place on June 7, is planned as a "warm-up" for the Boks ahead of their mid-year Tests against Wales (June 14 in Durban and June 21 in Nelspruit) and Scotland (in Port Elizabeth on June 28).
That is followed by the Rugby Championship - when SA face Argentina in back-to-back Tests (August 16, Pretoria, and August 23 in Argentina), followed by the traditional trip to Australasia ahead of the home leg against the All Blacks and Wallabies.
While SARU have so far declined to comment, Mayoral committee member for tourism, events and marketing at the City of Cape Town, Grant Pascoe, told the newspaper they are in talks with SARU and the Western Province Rugby Football Union.
"They [SARU and WPRFU] have the Test at Newlands against Australia [September 27] and then they're looking at another game [in Cape Town] against a World XV at Cape Town Stadium," Pascoe told Die Burger.
Executive director of tourism, events and marketing, Anton Groenewald, said they are waiting on a political decision on the matter after the proposal was brought to the attention of Western Cape premier Helen Zille and Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille.
WPRFU President Thelo Wakefield told the newspaper they supported the idea.
"SARU asked us if we'd like to come on board and we agreed. It's a top-notch match coming here and it's good for the fans," said Wakefield.
Die Burger also reported last week that the City of Cape Town and the WPRFU will renew talks about the union moving from Newlands to the purpose-build stadium in Seapoint.
It will be discussed at a three-day meeting from February 11 to 13.