Rathbone ready for return
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:22
I don’t feel like I need to play lots
Clyde Rathbone insists he is ready for a Super Rugby recall if required after making a successful comeback from injury on Saturday.
The South African-born Rathbone surprised many by joining up with the Brumbies' Super Rugby squad at the end of the 2012 season - he announced his retirement in2009.
Injury and illness has so far kept him on the periphery of selection for the Brumbies Super Rugby team in 2014.
But the veteran Wallaby wing made a return to competitive rugby, after more than a month on the sideline, in a John I Dent Cup match for the Easts and believes he is ready to play at the highest level again.
Rathbone’s year has been delayed by illness and a hamstring problem, but the 32-year-old Super Rugby championship winner said he was back on track after getting through 40 minutes unscathed.
Rathbone’s comeback – which ended with a cut above his left eye – will bolster the Brumbies’ backline stocks for the second half of the season.
"It’s been frustrating, you want to play, but I can only control what I can and you want to influence the team when you’re not out there," Rathbone said.
"[The game for Easts] was a nice box to tick.
"One of the advantages of being my age is that I don’t feel like I need to play lots of rugby.
"If my body feels good, I’m ready to go.
"My responsibility is to be in a position to play if I’m called on, and that’s how I feel."
The Brumbies have a bye this weekend after a hard-fought three point win over fellow Australians, the Reds.
|South African news|
|» World XV call on Horrell|
|» World Cup bid a four-horse race|
|» SARU stand firm as Maties sue Roux|
|» SARU fires Watson|
|» Burger: No quick-fix for Boks|