Two charged in machete attacks
Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:50
Aggravated and premeditated group violence using arms
Two men have been charged over the violent machete attack on three French internationals after a spat outside a bar.
The attack on Aurelien Rougerie, Julien Pierre and Benjamin Kayser occurred overnight Saturday as the three players from the ASM Clermont club, were returning to their hotel in the southern town of Millau, where they were briefly staying on their way to a training camp.
The youths, aged 20 and 21, were charged with 'aggravated and premeditated group violence using arms,' said Yves Delperie, the local prosecutor.
"They were recognised by witnesses and the victims," he said.
Three others who had been placed in custody were released without charge.
The pair charged were from the French Antilles and both had police records: the younger for extortion using violence and the other for drugs offences.
The attack saw a group of people armed with machetes, shovels and knives attack the rugby players, who had earlier had a verbal altercation with some men outside a bar.
Kayser and Rougerie suffered arm injuries while Pierre suffered deep cuts on his hip.
|South African news|
|» City 'disappointed' with WP stance|
|» Rassie heads SARU streamline|
|» ABs back at Ellis Park...for now|
|» Death of the oldest Bull|
|» Boks back for Euro clashes|