Paarl Boys' Festival and Tries Galore

Tue, 03 Apr 2018 15:12
Large boland v napier.800

WORLD SCHOOL FESTIVAL: On a hot, wind-free day in Paarl, down from the granite outcrop of Paarl Rock, Paarl Boys' High's celebration of its 150th birthday with an international rugby festival with teams from five continents.

Boland Landbou 59-26 Napier 

In the opening match, Boland Landbou of Paarl met Napier Boys' High of New Zealand and won handsomely 59-26.

The first player to score a try in an international schools festival in South Africa was Thys Kitshoff of Boland Landbou.

It was an interesting match. The Napier boys won the ruck contest, but the farm boys of Boland Landbou won the set pieces and handled with greater effect. They scored nine tries to four and clearly deserved their victory.

The match lasted 70 minutes and there was no score in the first 15 minutes with no sign of the 85 points to come in the next 55 minutes.

The first try came when Boland Landbou counterattacked from within their own half till tall flank Kitshoff burst past a defender to score. Scrumhalf Gavin Mills converted, as he did six times in the match.

Napier ran at Boland Landbou with a will and worked an overlap on the right where Sam Henderson sped down the touchline for the first of his two tries. Flyhalf Kegan Christian-Cross converted and the score was 7-7 after 21 minutes.

Three minutes later the local team was back in the lead. Mills kicked a clever box kick. Landbou contested it well and when Napier knocked the ball back towards their line, captain Bezuidenhout grabbed the ball and it was 12-7.

After some sharp interpassing, Bezuidenhout scored again. Then fullback Darryn Hendricks did a chip and chase to perfection to score, and half-time came with Landbou leading 26-7.

Landbou scored first in the second half when De Klerk scored the individual try of the match as he broke and sped 59 metres to score.

Napier then scored. No.8 Luke Russell raced down the left and played inside for a try by  Angus Kilmister. 33-14.

Erik Lamprecht intercepted and scored, Eugene Snyders ended some pick-n-drive with a try, and Kitshoff burst away from a line-out for a try, and it was 54-14.

Napier then had a short purple patch. Leo Thompson broke and Henderson raced over for his second try. Napier attacked again and substitute Hubbard scored.

Landbou had the last say when Hendricks started the running inside his own half and set De Klerk racing away for a try in the left corner. 59-26 and the final whistle sounded.


For Boland Landbou:
Tries: Thys Kitshoff 2, Schalk Bezuidenhout 2, Darryn Hendricks, Sebastian de Klerk 2, Eugene Snyders, Erik Lamprecht
Cons: Gavin Mills 6, Darryn Hendricks 

For Napier:
Tries: Sam Henderson 2, Angus Kilmister, Pereiha Hubbard
Cons: Kegan Christian-Cross 3

Referee: Quinton Immelman

Outeniqua 91-0 St Ignatius

This was not a match; it was a mismatch. At half-time Outeniqua led 53-0 and when the final whistle went the score was 91-0.

The Americans from Cleveland, Ohio, were not used to the weather, which was hot, and they do not play above 7ºC. They were certainly not used to the speed and physicality of the South Africans. They were not as well conditioned as their opponents.  And being a team growing used to the game, their instincts are not as finely turned.


For Outeniqua:
Tries: Mathew Thorne 3, Darryn Fortuin 2, Hendrik Hattingh 2, Aylan Schabart, Jaco Gerber, Pieter Ferreira, Zinedine Robinson, Braam van Huyssteen 2, Ridge Gaffley 2 
Cons: Zinedine Robinson 8

Referee: Nathan Barry

Oakdale 67-7 Namibia

Despite the high score, this was a reasonably good match. Both these teams were wise in the ways of rugby football but Oakdale were stronger and faster, and they took their chances well.

In nine minutes if the start, Oakdale's right wing, nippy Trevino Gordon, had scored a hat-trick of tries and his side led 19-0.

Oakdale then built advancing phases and Keano Hendricks scored to make the score 24-0.

But the Namibians were keen to play. They took a quick throw-in from touch and they tapped a penalty and then fullback Ravic Rittmann cut back to score at the posts. 24-7. But tries by fine centre Janco Klinck and Henco Beukes brought the half-time score to 36-7.

In the second half Gordon of the skittish feet danced past five defenders in a confined space and scored his fourth try, followed by another four tries by his side.

The fourth was the individual try of the match. Both teams had incisive runners at fullback and this try belonged to Clyde Lewis who raced some 70 metres past his opponents to dive over in the corner.  It was brilliant.


For Oakdale:
Tries: Trevino Gordon 4, Keano Hendricks, Janco Klinck, Henco Beukes, Joshua Lawson, substitute scrumhalf Joshua le Roux, Zach Stander, Clive Lewis
Cons: Jan Daniël Strydom 5

For Namibia XV:
Try: Ravic Rittman, Jan Krog

Monument 48-12 Cavaliers

Monument of Krugersdorp had the great advantage of cohesion overt the Cavaliers who were chosen from some 17 schools in New South Wales and ACT, Some of them met for the first time at the airport on their way to South Africa.

There was no faulting their instincts or courage. It was cohesion that they lacked and the physical strength that Monument had kin their pack. Getting the ball was hard for the young Australians.

At half-time Monnas led 24-0 after four tries.

Franco Schutte's try started well inside the Monument half. Lock Zander Oberholzer showed a remarkable turn of speed as he raced past a defender to score. Tristan Dullisear's first try came at the end of strong running, confident interpassing and the support play that the team showed throughout.

Dullisear's second try, in the second half, came from a great diagonal kick by flyhalf Byron-Lee Wentink.

Lachlan Shelley broke well into the second half and set up a first try for Sean Peruch. Peruch scored the last score of the match which ended 48-12 in Monument's favour.


For Monument:
Tries: Henco van Wyk, Franco Schutte, Zander Oberholzer, Tristan Dullisear 2, Reuben Barnard
Cons: Byron-Lee Wentink

For Cavaliers:
Tries: Sean Peruch 2
Con: Lachlan Shelley