Wasps whip Sarries to finish top

Sat, 06 May 2017 18:26
Large kurtley beale celebrates try 800

PREMIERSHIP ROUND 22 WRAP: Thomas Young's sensational hat-trick paved the way for a bonus-point triumph for Wasps over Saracens, which saw them top the pile and book a home semi-final berth.

The flank went over twice in a first half where Wasps were well on top, with Ben Spencer's break from the base of a maul keeping Sarries in touch at 16-10. But a try for Christian Wade, who equalled the record for most tries scored in a 22-game season, was followed by another by Elliot Daly. And despite Spencer's consolation effort, Young made it an afternoon to remember with his third in the dying moments.

*Meanwhile, Exeter Chiefs came from behind to beat Gloucester and secure a home semi-final, but they had to work hard to get the win. Tries from Lewis Ludlow and Jonny May gave the hosts a slender half-time lead, but Gareth Steenson's boot and an Ian Whitten score kept the Chiefs in touch.

And the visitors proved too strong in the second period, with Ben Moon, James Short and Will Chudley all crossing to give Rob Baxter's side the win, despite May crossing for his second after Short's try. The win meant Exeter finish second behind Wasps and set up a semi-final clash with Saracens.

*Elsewhere, the immaculate kicking of Freddie Burns booked Leicester Tigers a spot in the semi-finals for the 13th consecutive season as they edged an end-of-season thriller against Worcester Warriors at Sixways.

Burns booted 20 points from the tee and added a drop-goal for good measure to secure a 15th straight win for Tigers over Worcester. The Warriors had won three of their last four home games since Gary Gold took over as head coach but with two points needed to guarantee Leicester a place in the top-four, Burns kept the scoreboard ticking over to finish the job in style and set up a semi-final trip to Wasps in a fortnight's time.

Worcester, who finish 11th in the table, crossed the whitewash three times to Leicester's one, as Chris Pennell, Bryce Heem and Wynand Olivier all dotted down. Tom Youngs' push-over try was Tigers' only five-pointer but with Bath-bound Burns' impeccable work from the tee, they accrued enough points to come out on top.

*Bath missed out on the top four after coming out on the wrong side of a six-try thriller with Sale Sharks. Knowing nothing but a bonus-point win would be enough, Max Clark scored in the first half but Bath weren't able to get a lead, as Denny Solomona and Ben Curry both crossed for the hosts.

Josh Charnley got Sale's third but a penalty score and Matt Banahan kept Bath fighting right until the last, with three points separating the two sides heading into the closing five minutes. But the score was not to be forthcoming as Bath finished in fifth place, though it was the perfect way for some of the Sharks legends to sign off at the AJ Bell Stadium.

*Northampton Saints edged Harlequins 22-20 in a pulsating affair at Franklin's Gardens, but the visitors' losing bonus point means they finish sixth earning automatic qualification to next season's European Champions Cup.

Saints needed to beat the London side and deny them a bonus point but Quins held on to clinch sixth while the home side face a qualification play-off. The sides scored two tries each before the break as they went in level pegging at 17-17 - Joe Marchant and George North exchanging tries shortly before the break.

A Nick Evans penalty kept Saints at arm's length for a quarter of the game before replacement Api Ratuniyarawa gave the hosts the lead. But Quins held out to lose by just two points in a frantic final 10 minutes in the East Midlands.

*Newcastle Falcons secured eighth place in the table thanks to a 39-27 win over Bristol at Ashton Gate to finish the season. Needing to win, and defeats for both Gloucester and Northampton Saints, Newcastle were provisionally in seventh until a late try for Northampton saw them drop down a spot.

That means they missed out on a Champions Cup play-off place, but this was still a promising display, with Vereniki Goneva scoring two tries, and it could have been a hat-trick but for some late generosity. Falcons scored five tries in all, while Bristol managed four of their own in their final game of the campaign.

All the scores and scorers!

Worcester Warriors 23-28 Leicester Tigers

Leicester may have been looking to guarantee a top-four spot but it was Worcester who started the stronger at Sixways - setting up camp in the visiting 22. Heem, Olivier and ex-Tiger Perry Humphreys all came agonisingly close to getting over but Leicester's last-ditch defence held firm.

Having withstood the early pressure, the semi-final chasers were awarded a 12th-minute penalty, which the in-form Burns duly converted, although Warriors flyhalf Ryan Mills responded in kind shortly after. A second Burns penalty took his streak to 10 consecutive successful kicks before Tigers landed a crucial blow midway through the half.

A lineout drive on the right-hand side was marshalled by skipper Youngs and he dotted down once the pack mauled their way over the Worcester line, before Burns stayed perfect with the subsequent conversion.

But with Ben Te'o powerfully making yards, Worcester got back into the game just after the half-hour mark as a flowing move saw Heem feed a charging Pennell and the fullback cut inside before burrowing over - Mills' conversion making it 13-10.

The flyhalves traded penalties to bring a breathless first half to a close but Leicester's three-point advantage turned into a two-point deficit shortly after the break when Heem picked up a loose ball and blazed his way to the line.

Mills couldn't add the conversion, but his opposite number was having no such trouble as Burns nailed a 49th-minute drop goal, and two further penalties to put the visitors back in control at 25-18 ahead.

But Worcester has refused to lie down at any point this season and demonstrated that resilience once again with 15 minutes left as Ryan Lamb fed Olivier, who handed off a defender and powered in from the 22 to close the gap once again.

But as Lamb's conversion attempt went across the face of the posts, Burns proved the importance of a reliable boot as he landed another penalty to seal the win and a semi-final spot in the process.


For Worcester Warriors:
Tries: Pennell, Heem, Olivier
Con: Mills
Pens: Mills 2

For Leicester Tigers:
Try: Young
Con: Burns
Pens: Burns 6
DG: Burns


Worcester: 15 Chris Pennell, 14 Bryce Heem, 13 Wynand Olivier, 12 Ben Te'o, 11 Perry Humphreys, 10 Ryan Mills, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Marco Mama, 7 Dewald Potgieter, 6 Phil Dowson, 5 Will Spencer, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan (captain), 3 Gareth Milasinovich, 2 Joe Taufete'e, 1 Ryan Bower.
Replacements: 16 Jack Singleton, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Biyi Alo, 19 Darren Barry, 20 Alafoti Faosiliva, 21 Luke Baldwin, 22 Ryan Lamb, 23 Cooper Vuna.

Leicester: 15 Mathew Tait, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Jack Roberts, 12 Owen Williams, 11 Peter Betham, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Luke Hamilton, 7 Brendon O'Connor, 6 Mike Williams, 5 Graham Kitchener, 4 Dom Barrow, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs (captain), 1 Ellis Genge.
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Greg Bateman, 18 Fraser Balmain, 19 Mike Fitzgerald, 20 Harry Thacker, 21 Sam Harrison, 22 Matt Smith, 23 George Worth.

Referee: Tom Foley
Assistant referees: Simon McConnell and Paul Dix
TMO: Sean Davey

Sale Sharks 27-24 Bath

Sale began on the front foot despite not putting points on the board in the early stages, unable to make the most of their early pressure as the first 15 minutes finished scoreless. From there the game surged into life though, as a burst from MacGinty, Ross Harrison and Byron McGuigan set the Sharks away, the former eventually kicking the resulting penalty.

That move also saw prop Shaun Knight into the sin-bin for 10 minutes, but that didn't stop Bath getting the first try of the match. Their first foray into running rugby saw Clark finish off an excellent move, taking the ball at pace to sprint through the gap with a beautiful line to crash under the posts for his second try in two matches.

Rhys Priestland's conversion extended Bath's first lead of the match, though a second MacGinty penalty ensured the gap was to be cut to one at 6-7 at the half-hour mark. But another moment of brilliance had Sale back ahead, with Solomona showing the form that has taken him to an England call-up this summer.

Another venture into the Bath 22 saw the wing barge his way over the line, showing perfect strength to follow up the superb pace he had shown moments earlier, stepping the defence in a wonderful individual try.

They say you're at your most vulnerable just after you've scored, and that seemed to be the case for Sale, conceding a penalty barely a minute after dotting down, with Priestland making no mistake from the tee.

And just as it seemed the half-time difference would be three, the Sharks picked up their second try of the first half through Ben Curry. It was a brilliant score to end the half too, making the most of the excellent work from Charnley before taking an equally-impressive pass from Mike Haley, crashing over as the hosts looked to end the season on a strong note.

That attacking endeavour continued into the second half as Charnley got his own deserved try - an excellent set-piece score befitting a match-winning effort in any game.

It began with brilliant footwork from Sam James and, with the ball spread wide, Charnley barraged his way into the corner for the Sharks' third score of the afternoon, leaving Bath with plenty to do with a 17-point deficit.

But with a top-four place at stake, Bath wasn't giving up without a fight and they drew the game closer once again through a penalty try, with scrum pressure leaving referee Greg Garner with no choice but to award the score.

Their third try of the afternoon followed quickly after, with Banahan doing the work despite Sale holding the scrum resolutely, as the power of the wing proved its worth to cut the gap to 24-27.

That left the Sharks with a nervy 15 minutes to negotiate, with both sides looking to get a bonus-point score could have had major permutations on the season. But despite the furious finish, no more points were to come from hand or boot, leaving Sharks as the victors in an excellent finale to the season.


For Sale Sharks:
Tries: Solomona, Curry, Charnley
Cons: MacGinty 3
Pens: MacGinty 2

For Bath:
Tries: Clark, Penalty try, Banahan
Cons: Priestland 2, Ford
Pen: Priestland

Yellow cards: Shaun Knight (Bath, 16); Francois Louw (Bath, 78); Neil Briggs (Sale Sharks, 78)


Sale: 15 Mike Haley, 14 Denny Solomona, 13 Sam James, 12 Johnny Leota, 11 Byron McGuigan, 10 AJ MacGinty, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Josh Beaumont (captain), 7 Tom Curry, 6 Ben Curry, 5 Andrei Ostrikov, 4 Bryn Evans, 3 Ross Harrison, 2 Rob Webber, 1 James Flynn.
Replacements: 16 Cameron Neild, 17 Jake Pope, 18 Diogo Ferreira, 19 George Nott, 20 Magnus Lund, 21 Peter Stringer, 22 Mark Jennings, 23 Josh Charnley.

Bath: 15 Tom Homer, 14 Matt Banahan, 13 Max Clark, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Aled Brew, 10 Rhys Priestland (co-captain), 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Francois Louw (co-captain), 6 Tom Ellis, 5 Dave Attwood, 4 Elliott Stooke, 3 Shaun Knight, 2 Chris Brooker, 1 Beno Obano.
Replacements: 16 Ross Batty, 17 Darryl Marfo, 18 Kane Palma-Newport, 19 Matt Garvey, 20 Paul Grant, 21 Chris Cook, 22 George Ford, 23 Robbie Fruean.

Referee: Greg Garner
Assistant referees: Tim Wigglesworth and Andrew Jackson
TMO: Graham Hughes

Gloucester 20-34 Exeter Chiefs

Gloucester flew out of the blocks and took an early lead through Ludlow, who combined with May down the left before crossing. Greig Laidlaw added the extras. Steenson's penalty had the visitors on the board before Laidlaw added three points of his own to restore the hosts' six-point advantage.

And the lead was stretched when the impressive May intercepted Steenson's pass for an unconverted breakaway try down the left channel. However, the visitors hit back five minutes before half-time, Whitten danced through the Gloucester backline to dot down, and Steenson did the honours to pull it back to 15-13.

Despite heavy Gloucester pressure in the final moments of the half, the scores stayed at two points difference. 

David Humphreys' side started the second half in the same way they did the first, much faster than the Chiefs. And May thought he had extended the Cherry & Whites' advantage minutes into the second period when he dotted down in the corner, but the play was brought back for a knock-on.

But after weathering a brief Gloucester storm, it was the Chiefs that dealt a huge double blow as Moon and Short crossed in quick succession to put Baxter's side in control. Steenson was impressive all afternoon with the boot and made both conversions to make it 15-27.

May crossed for his second after smart work by Billy Twelvetrees shortly after to give the hosts hope of dragging the match back the way of the Cherry & Whites. However, replacement Chudley forced his way over with 10 minutes to go as Exeter turned the screw, Steenson again making no mistake from the kick, as Exeter held on for victory.


For Gloucester:
Tries: Ludlow, May 2
Con: Laidlaw
Pen: Laidlaw

For Exeter Chiefs:
Tries: Whitten, Moon, Short, Chudley
Cons: Steenson 4
Pens: Steenson 2


Gloucester: 15 James Hook, 14 Charlie Sharples, 13 Matt Scott, 12 Mark Atkinson, 11 Jonny May, 10 Billy Twelvetrees, 9 Greig Laidlaw (captain), 8 Ben Morgan, 7 Lewis Ludlow, 6 Freddie Clarke, 5 Mariano Galarza, 4 Tom Savage, 3 John Afoa, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Paddy McAllister.
Replacements: 16 Darren Dawidiuk, 17 Yann Thomas, 18 Josh Hohneck, 19 Jeremy Thrush, 20 Jacob Rowan, 21 Willi Heinz, 22 Ollie Thorley, 23 Henry Trinder.

Exeter: 15 Jack Nowell, 14 Olly Woodburn, 13 Ian Whitten, 12 Ollie Devoto, 11 James Short, 10 Gareth Steenson (captain), 9 Stuart Townsend, 8 Kai Horstmann, 7 Julian Salvi, 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Ollie Atkins, 3 Harry Williams, 2 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 1 Ben Moon.
Replacements: 16 Jack Yeandle, 17 Carl Rimmer, 18 Tomas Francis, 19 Sam Skinner, 20 Sam Simmonds, 21 Will Chudley, 22 Joe Simmonds, 23 Sam Hill.

Referee: Ian Tempest
Assistant referees: Jack Makepeace and Phil Watters
TMO: Geoffrey Warren

Wasps 35-15 Saracens

It was the hosts who made a fast start with Jake Cooper-Woolley, Willie le Roux and Kurtley Beale all making big carries inside the opening few minutes. And the deadlock was broken on 14 minutes after a mistake at the back from Chris Wyles saw him knock on Jimmy Gopperth's 14th-minute grubber-kick.

Sarries were punished as an immediate scrum penalty against Titi Lamositele allowed Gopperth to slam the ball through the posts off the kicking tee.

However, with Wasps not committing enough bodies to the breakdown from kick-off, lightning-fast reactions from Spencer saw him snatch up the ball and burst through a gap for the opening try of the game.

Alex Lozowski made no mistake with the conversion in front of the posts, but Wasps hit back almost immediately with a wonderful team score. After some superb phase play in the build-up, Daly's break allowed Danny Cipriani to thread the ball into the corner to leave Young an easy finish.

The defending champions began to see a bit more of the ball, and Lozowski fired off a warning shot with a drop-goal attempt that went left of the uprights on the half-hour mark. Marcelo Bosch then put his side back ahead with a huge penalty from the left-hand side of the halfway line.

But Wasps backline soon put the ball through the hands once more, with le Roux releasing Wade who was blocked off by Sean Maitland and the Sarries wing saw yellow as a result. Gopperth's penalty was once again straight through the posts, and Wasps looked to make their numerical advantage count before the interval.

Joe Simpson hit an inch-perfect grubber into the corner, and while Spencer was back, le Roux' hit dislodged the ball to win a five-metre scrum. And that led to another score for Young in the corner to make it 16-10 at half-time, as Wasps went down the blindside and le Roux provided the assist.

A massive early carry in the second half from Young set the tone for Wasps, but an equally impressive tackle from Michael Rhodes stopped Ashley Johnson in the corner. Gopperth pulled a long-distance penalty attempt wide of the mark on 52 minutes, but Wade finally extended Wasps lead with a record-equalling try.

It was a fortunate score in truth; with a host of players chasing down a kick over the top, the ball ricocheted into Wade's path, but the wing did the honours to equal Dominic Chapman's 1998 record. Saracens persevered, but despite Spencer's second try of the match after a 20-phase move, a quick turnover and sheer pace from Daly put the game to bed.

The England international and soon-to-be British & Irish Lion sprinted around the outside of Jamie George on the left flank to score a decisive try - Wasps' fourth of the afternoon that secured the bonus-point that saw them go top.

And there was still time for Young to complete a sensational hat-trick on 78 minutes, as the flank broke from the maul, beat the last defender and dove over in the corner to round off a memorable triumph in Coventry.


For Wasps:
Tries: Young 3, Wade, Daly
Cons: Gopperth 2
Pens: Gopperth 2

For Saracens:
Tries: Spencer 2
Con: Lozowski
Pen: Bosch

Yellow card: Sean Maitland (Saracens, 33)


Wasps: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Jimmy Gopperth, 11 Willie Le Roux, 10 Danny Cipriani, 9 Joe Simpson, 8 Nathan Hughes, 7 Thomas Young, 6 James Haskell, 5 Matt Symons, 4 Joe Launchbury (captain), 3 Jake Cooper-Woolley, 2 Tommy Taylor, 1 Matt Mullan.
Replacements: 16 Ashley Johnson, 17 Simon McIntyre, 18 Phil Swainston, 19 Kearnan Myall, 20 Guy Thompson, 21 Dan Robson, 22 Alapati Leiua.

Saracens: 15 Chris Wyles, 14 Mike Ellery, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Nick Tompkins, 11 Sean Maitland, 10 Alex Lozowski, 9 Ben Spencer, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Jackson Wray, 6 Michael Rhodes, 5 George Kruis, 4 Jim Hamilton, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Schalk Brits (captain), 1 Titi Lamositle.
Replacements: 16 Jamie George, 17 Richard Barrington, 18 Petrus Du Plessis, 19 Nick Isiekwe, 20 Kelly Brown, 21 Henry Taylor, 22 Alex Goode, 23 Nathan Earle.

Referee: Wayne Barnes
Assistant referees: Roger Baileff and Nigel Carrick.
TMO: David Sainsbury

Northampton Saints 22-20 Harlequins

Harlequins started brighter and it was scrumhalf Karl Dickson that got the visitors moving with a deft chip which was taken by wing Tim Visser. Quins pounded the line with a number of short picks by the forwards until stand-in captain James Horwill crashed through the Saints defence for the opening score.

With so much riding on the game, both sets of forwards were trying their utmost to gain the upper hand and some ferocious hits ensued, Harlequins flank Luke Wallace had a huge collision with Saints prop Kieran Brookes who knocked on.

Quins piled the pressure on Saints, who looked out of sorts in the early exchanges, and Evans extended their lead to 10 after they won a penalty at scrum time. 

And then a stroke of genius from Saints flyhalf Harry Mallinder, a slightly lofted pass from halfback partner Nic Groom put the playmaker under pressure but Mallinder's delicate flick inside put the returning George North through a gap and under the sticks to bring the hosts within three.

Returning Frenchman Louis Picamoles carried hard in the Quins 22 after Marland Yarde failed to clear a probing kick. The No.8 offloaded expertly to Alex Waller who dotted down to give Saints the lead for the first time in the match.

Quins began to purr towards the end of the half when Evans found Wallace with a cross kick and a few phases later Brown came up just yards short before the electric Joe Marchant picked up to scoot over in the corner.

Evans, who had missed with two penalty attempts, showed his composure by slotting from the touchline to give his side a 17-14 lead but his opposite man Mallinder pegged Quins back with a penalty of his own as the sides went into the break 17 points apiece.

The Quins flyhalf picked up where he left off from the tee and put his side ahead after the break but that would prove his final act of a long and storied career as the Kiwi departed prematurely after failing to shake off an injury.

Charlie Matthews received a yellow card for a deliberate knock-on but Quins managed to regain the ball and clear their lines. Tim Swiel sliced through the Saints defence and looked to have sidestepped fullback Ahsee Tuala but the Saint just got enough contact to fell the Harlequin.

But Saints made their man advantage count when replacement Ratuniyarawa burrowed over but Mallinder missed a simple conversion as his side led by just two. And with Saints needing to win by more than seven points to secure sixth, they continued to probe the Quins defence until the last but coughed up the ball for the visitors to send into the stand.

With the sides level on points after 22 Rounds of the regular season, Quins finish sixth by virtue of having more wins to their name.


For Northampton Saints:
Tries: North, Waller, Ratuniyarawa
Cons: Mallinder 2
Pen: Mallinder

For Harlequins:
Tries: Horwill, Merchant
Cons: Evans 2
Pens: Evans 2

Yellow card: Charlie Matthews (Harlequins, 58)


Northampton: 15 Ahsee Tuala, 14 George North, 13 Nafi Tuitavake, 12 Luther Burrell, 11 Ben Foden, 10 Harry Mallinder, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Tom Wood (captain), 6 Jamie Gibson, 5 David Ribbans, 4 Courtney Lawes, 3 Kieran Brookes, 2 Dylan Hartley, 1 Alex Waller.
Replacements: 16 Mikey Haywood, 17 Campese Ma'afu, 18 Gareth Denman, 19 Api Ratuniyarawa, 20 Teimana Harrison, 21 Lee Dickson, 22 Sam Olver, 23 Rory Hutchinson.

Harlequins: 15 Mike Brown, 14 Marland Yarde, 13 Joe Marchant, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Karl Dickson, 8 Mat Luamanu, 7 Luke Wallace, 6 Chris Robshaw, 5 James Horwill (captain), 4 Charlie Matthews, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Rob Buchanan, 1 Joe Marler.
Replacements: 16 Joe Gray, 17 Mark Lambert, 18 Will Collier, 19 George Merrick, 20 Dave Ward, 21 Charlie Mulchrone, 22 Tim Swiel, 23 Alofa Alofa.

Referee: JP Doyle
Assistant referees: Anthony Woodthorpe  and Peter Allan
TMO: Rowan Kitt

Bristol 27-39 Newcastle Falcons

Newcastle made a flying start with some quick feet from Chris Harris creating a gap and Mark Wilson then showed the pace to streak over from the 22. Sonatane Takulua converted to make it 7-0 with just four minutes gone.

Bristol was under the cosh early on but almost came back with a try of their own after a break from Jason Woodward, but he was forced into touch by a great tackle from Marcus Watson as he tried to pass inside.

Instead, it was Falcons who extended their lead, Takulua knocking over a penalty following a powerful scrum to make it 10-0. With the possibility of a European play-off place still at stake, Newcastle meant business, and they extended their lead when Goneva picked the ball up from a ruck and raced over unopposed.

Bristol wasn't helping themselves, one fine break from Billy Searle ending in a penalty as Alby Mathewson was penalised for crossing. He protested the decision and was marched back 10 further yards allowing Takulua to slot a second penalty of the afternoon, pushing the lead to 18-0.

Gavin Henson got Bristol on the board on the stroke of half-time, knocking over a penalty with the final kick of the half. But Newcastle extended their lead early in the second half, Juan Pablo Socino and Watson combining on a scissors to put the latter clean through and he then produced a delightful sidestep to get over the line. Takulua's conversion made it 25-3.

However, Bristol was much-improved in the second half and replacement Jamal Ford-Robinson got over soon after for their first try of the afternoon. With Henson off, Woodward converted to cut the deficit to 15.

But just as it looked like they might get back into it, putting Falcons under real pressure, Goneva picked off a pass and raced the length of the pitch to wrap up the bonus point. Bristol came straight back, with a try from another prop, Jack O'Connell on hand following a half-break from Tusi Pisi. Woodward converted once more.

Goneva pounced on another loose ball late on with what looked set to be a hat-trick score, but after racing over the line he gave the ball to Harris for the try. Bristol had the final say, however, with late tries from Jack Tovey and then the departing Mitch Eadie to finish with a flourish, albeit in a losing cause.


For Bristol:
Tries: Ford-Robinson, O'Connell, Tovey, Eadie
Cons: Woodward 2
Pen: Henson

For Newcastle Falcons:
Tries: Wilson, Goneva 2, Watson, Harris
Cons: Takulua 4
Pens: Takulua 2


Bristol: 15 Jason Woodward, 14 Ryan Edwards, 13 Will Hurrell, 12 Gavin Henson, 11 Jack Tovey, 10 Billy Searle, 9 Alby Mathewson, 8 Mitch Eadie, 7 Olly Robinson, 6 Sam Jeffries, 5 Mark Sorenson, 4 James Phillips, 3 Gaston Cortes, 2 Marc Jones (captain), 1 Jack O'Connell.
Replacements: 16 Max Crumpton, 17 Ollie Dawe, 18 Jamal Ford-Robinson, 19 Ben Glynn, 20 Nick Fenton-Wells, 21 Andy Uren, 22 Tusi Pisi, 23 Siale Piutau.

Newcastle: 15 Marcus Watson, 14 Vereniki Goneva, 13 Chris Harris, 12 Juan Pablo Socino, 11 Sinoti Sinoti, 10 Joel Hodgson, 9 Sonatane Takulua, 8 Opeti Fonua, 7 Will Welch (captain), 6 Mark Wilson, 5 Sean Robinson, 4 Calum Green, 3 Jon Welsh, 2 Scott Lawson, 1 Rob Vickers.
Replacements: 16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Ben Harris, 18 Scott Wilson, 19 Will Witty, 20 Callum Chick, 21 Sam Egerton, 22 Craig Willis, 23 Alex Tait.

Referee: Luke Pearce
Assistant referees: Adam Leal and Andrew Pearce
TMO: Trevor Fisher


There are currently no matches being played
Fri, 01 June 2018
Highlanders v Hurricanes 07h35 Dunedin
Sat, 02 June 2018
Blues v Rebels 05h15 Eden Park
Chiefs v Crusaders 07h35 Hamilton
Reds v Waratahs 09h45 Suncorp Stadium
Wales v South Africa 21h00 RFK Stadium
Sun, 03 June 2018
Brumbies v Sunwolves 06h05 Canberra
Team P W D L Pts
Exeter Chiefs 22 17 0 5 85
Saracens 22 16 0 6 77
Wasps 22 14 1 7 71
Newcastle Falcons 22 14 0 8 63
Leicester Tigers 22 13 0 9 63
Bath 22 11 0 11 56
Gloucester 22 11 1 10 56
Sale Sharks 22 10 0 12 54
Northampton Saints 22 8 0 14 43
Harlequins 22 7 0 15 36
Worcester Warriors 22 7 0 15 36
London Irish 22 3 0 19 22