Concern over Lambie's future
REACTION: There is concern over the future of the Sharks' Springbok flyhalf Patrick Lambie in the wake of his latest bout of concussion.
The 26-year-old, who made his first start in more than two months after he suffered a fractured vertebra in March, left the field on the half-hour mark in his team's 32-35 loss to the Southern Kings in Port Elizabeth at the weekend.
Instead of the spotlight being shone on the Kings' magnificent victory, the concerns were about Lambie's future.
Apart from his host of other injuries - which has seen him play just 20 matches in the last three years - it is the second bout of concussion in the past year that is of real concern.
Lambie collided with teammate Rhyno Smith and while he at first attempted to play on, he was soon removed from the field on medical advice.
Coach Robert du Preez said after the match that he was 'not too sure' what the extent of Lambie's latest bout of concussion is.
"Obviously Pat's injury was quite a setback for the team," Du Preez said, adding: "We do have capable players who could have fixed that issue."
The seriousness of the latest injury will be known, at the earliest, after tests on Monday.
However, following the massive collision with Ireland's South African-born British and Irish Lion Christiaan Stander in June last year - which sidelined Lambie for four months - there is genuine concern about his future in the game.
A bitterly disappointed Sharks coach, Du Preez, said they had no reason to complain about the result against the Kings - as they were outscored by four tries to two.
He said the result is 'fantastic' for the Kings.
"They have been playing good rugby all year long," Du Preez said.
"That is what we need in South Africa, teams like that who perform well against a team like the Sharks."
Asked what took the Kings over the line, he said: "[The Kings'] passion and the fact that we could not exit."