• Rugby 365 TV Rugby 365 TV
  • Contact Us Contact Us
  • Countries Countries
  • Homepage Homepage
  • Latest News Latest News
  • Laws & Referees Laws & Referees
  • Match Centre Match Centre
  • More Tournaments More Tournaments
  • Newsletter Newsletter
  • rugby365 TV rugby365 TV
  • Schools Schools
  • Search Results Search Results
  • Sports Innovation Summit Sports Innovation Summit
  • Tournaments Tournaments
  • Uncategorised Uncategorised
  • Rugby 365 TV
Fri 7 Jun 2013 | 12:04

Bail eased on KP murder accused

Bail eased on KP murder accused
Fri 7 Jun 2013 | 12:04

Bail eased on KP murder accused


Bail conditions for four men allegedly involved in the fatal beating of a rugby fan were relaxed when they appeared in the Durban Magistrate's Court on Friday.

The four will have to report only once a week to their respective police stations.

Magistrate Vanitha Armu reduced the reporting conditions following a request from the men's legal counsel.

Brothers Blayne and Kyle Shepard, Andries van der Merwe, and Dustin van Wyk were granted bail of R5000 each on April 8, and were required to report to their local police station twice a week.

They are accused of beating to death former Royal Marine Brett Williams, 29, at a Super Rugby match in Durban in March.

They are each charged with one count of murder, three of assault with intent to commit grievous bodily harm, and one of crimen injuria.

They have also been banned from contacting the fifth accused, Grant Cramer, who was released on bail of R2000.

He is charged with one count of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

On Friday, the case was postponed to August 27 for further investigation.

Prosecutor Krishen Shah said some of the witnesses still needed to be interviewed.

He said a decision still needed to be taken on whether the five would be prosecuted in the Durban Regional Court or the Durban High Court.

During the bail application, Shah said Williams had an altercation with Cramer outside Kings Park Stadium on the night of March 23.

Cramer "had a choke hold" on Williams, and he lost consciousness, Shah told the court.

Paramedics revived him, but the other four "kicked and punched" him in a second altercation later on, he alleged.

Paramedics were unable to revive Williams again, and he was declared dead at the scene.


PV: 8
Bail eased on KP murder accused | Rugby365