Pocock blow for Brumbies
Pocock blow for BrumbiesSHARE
Pocock returns to Canberra on Monday after ending a year-long sabbatical from Australian rugby duties.
However, the Brumbies will probably have to wait until April to use the 29-year-old loose forward.
"Upon David Pocock's return from playing in Japan he sought advice for a complaint with his knee," said a statement from the Brumbies.
"Following consultation with his orthopaedic surgeon, the Brumbies and David were informed that it would be in the best interest of both parties that he underwent a minor operative procedure.
"The surgery took place yesterday, Saturday, January 20, and identified damage to his meniscus. His timeline for return to play is up to three months.
"After appropriate post-operative rehabilitation, David is expected to make a full recovery."
Pocock expressed his disappointment about the setback, but he believes the surgery was the best decision to avoid further damage to the degenerative injury.
"There is always frustration and disappointment, but all you can do is control your reaction to it. Having a bit of time off [last year], I realise how fortunate I am," Pocock told the Canberra Times.
"I was looking forward to arriving back in Canberra with some match fitness and ready to go, but this is probably the better approach. I've managed it for ages, this is the smart decision.
"It's the kind of thing that if you keep managing, at some point if it tears it will be a lot worse. You wouldn't want that to be halfway through the season."
Source: @BrumbiesRugby & The Canberra Times